Thursday 8 January 2015

When it was a Workplace Affair…

Was your spouses affair with someone they work with? My husband’s was. when all the dust had settled, he had to keep working with her, and I won’t lie to you…at first, that was really hard for me.
He did his best to reassure me that the affair was 100% over, and would find ways to show that I could trust him. Like anyone else in my position, it was damned hard for me. He’d go to work and I’d do what I had to do around the house and whatever else I could think of to keep my mind off of things.
After a while, it finally occurred to me that I had to make an effort to start trusting him again.I had to kind of flip the situation over and see it from a different angle. Instead of trying to find clues that he was cheating ( there weren’t any), I had to find signs that he wasn’t. That was so helpful to me.
Of course there were people who felt that i should tell him to ask to be posted to a position somewhere else, where they wouldn’t be around each other every day, but that simply wasn’t an option. Besides, if I was to trust him and that he was truthful about wanting our marriage, then it shouldn’t matter where he worked or who he worked with. he wasn’t going to cheat. I didn’t want it to be that the only reason he didn’t cheat was because there was no temptation to. I wanted him not to cheat because he didn’t want to.
A big hurdle that I also had to jump was facing the fact that I had to start trusting him again sometime, and if I couldn’t trust him there, i couldn’t trust him anywhere…
I took some time, and it didn’t come easily, but gradually I found myself able to see things from that perspective.
As time went by, the worst part about him still working with her was that i had to see her at his work functions. She tried to talk to me, but I wasn’t in the mood for that. Mind you, she still kept up with her pestering, and even sent him some emails telling him I was cheating on him…which, of course, I wasn’t. She also tried to spread gossip about me, but as time went on, she showed her true nature and people stopped believing her anymore.
I’m so glad that I was able to trust him again. I can honestly say that in the four years since his affair, he’s never given me any reason not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment