Thursday 8 January 2015

“It’s a Cultural Thing”

I don’t pretend to know all that much about other cultures. I know that in my culture, cheating is frowned upon. I’ve often heard it said ( usually by wayward spouses and other men/women) that in their culture, infidelity is the norm and most people either embrace it or look the other way.
Maybe this is true…as I said, i don;t pretend to know all that much about it. I do wonder, though, if this acceptance is real or if it’s more of a resignation to the idea that since infidelity has always happened, one can’t do anything about it so they just have to put up with it, no matter how hurtful.
Do the betrayed spouses view infidelity in the same light as those who benefit from it ( wayward spouses , other men/women)? Do they think it’s okay, or does it hurt them just as much as it does anyone else?
There have been time that I’ve had the opportunity to talk with women from these cultures who have an unfaithful spouse. ALL I can say is that it hurt them just as much as it hurt me. There was no real difference. Perhaps the the ‘acceptance” is more in the eyes of the people cheating.
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment