Tuesday 26 August 2014

A Visit is Just What the Doctor Ordered

One of the most embarrassing things that happened after my husband’s affair was having to go to my doctor to ask to be tested for STD’s.  It was absolutely humiliating, although in truth, I don’t know why. I had no real reason to be ashamed, yet I was. I think that in many ways, admitting to him that my husband had cheated forced me to look it square in the face. The shame I felt that he could do that, the embarrassment at somehow not being good enough, the anger at the betrayal.

At any rate, my doctor is a wonderful man. He listened to me while I tearfully told him what had happened, and he asked if there was anything I needed. I told him I wanted to be tested, which he did. Then he asked me how I was feeling. He told me it wasn’t my fault , men can be jerks, and that if there was anything I could do, just to let him know.

Just by listening, he’d already done so much.

Fortunately, all the tests results came back negative.

That’s the way it was for me after the affair. I thought I was handling it well, and then something would happen and it would hit me all over again…the hurt and sadness would come flooding back. There were times I thought I was gang crazy.

Turns out, what I was feeling was completely normal and almost every betrayed spouse goes through something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment